SETSIDSection: User Commands (1)
Index | Return to Main Contents
NAMEsetsid - run a program in a new session
setsid runs a program in a new session. The command calls fork(2) if already a process group leader. Otherwise, it executes a program in the current process. This default behavior is possible to override by the --fork option.
- Set the controlling terminal to the current one.
- Always create a new process.
- Wait for the execution of the program to end, and return the exit status of this program as the exit status of setsid.
- Display version information and exit.
- Display help text and exit.
For bug reports, use the issue tracker at <https://github.com/karelzak/util-linux/issues>.
The setsid command is part of the util-linux package which can be downloaded from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/>.
Return to Main Contents